Why it is Important to Stay Hydrated
COVID-19 has introduced a variety of changes into our lives. Many of us are still working from home, extra precautions have to be taken to do simple activities like grocery shopping or exercising and seeing friends and family members for some is still challenging. Living in a state of increased stress and uncertainty like this can cause us to forget some of the essentials, such as drinking enough water each day. However, staying hydrated is one of the most important things you can do for your health, especially during a pandemic. Listed below are ways water benefits your body:
- It helps your body naturally eliminate toxins and other bacteria that may cause illness or infection.
- It regulates your digestive system.
- It helps your body transport nutrients, lubricate joints, and regulate your temperature.
- It allows your body to better cope with stress, both mentally and physically.
- It increases your energy levels by helping to regulate your blood pressure and oxygen flow.
- It helps improve your ability to focus, thus improving your productivity and creativity.
- It can improve your complexation and help reduce signs of aging.
- It can even help improve your quality of sleep.
Signs of Dehydration
Dehydration occurs when there is a net outflow of water: that is, you’re losing more fluid than you’re taking in. This could be from sweating during hot weather or exercise, a fever, vomiting or diarrhea, or simply not drinking enough of the right fluids. According to the CDC, upwards of 75% of Americans suffer from chronic dehydration. Common signs of dehydration include:
- Feeling of thirst and/or having a dry mouth
- Headaches and/or dizziness
- Dark colored urine
- Muscles cramps and/or aches
- Fatigue and/or exhaustion
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms listed above, avoid immediately resorting to Advil or coffee to push through, as these options can actually make you more dehydrated. Instead, take a break from looking at any screens and drink some water.
Tips for Staying Hydrated
Listed below are some of our best tips for preventing dehydration:
- Infuse your water with natural flavors such a lemon, lime, cucumber, mint, rosemary, etc.
- After you’ve had your morning coffee or tea, choose water for the rest of the day.
- Keep a reusable water bottle with you at all times and refill it as soon as it is empty.
- Don’t buy any sugary drinks next time you go grocery shopping, that way water is the main option at home.
- Use an app or set reminders to help you drink water throughout the day.
- Fruits and vegetable have high water contents, so adding more into your diet is a great hydration source!
For more information, click here!