According to Daniel J. Siegel, clinical professor of psychiatry at the UCLA School of Medicine and Executive Director of the Mindsight Institute, “mindfulness” is about being sensitive to novelty in our everyday experiences and no longer being on automatic. He explains that with mindful awareness the flow of energy and information that is our mind enters our conscious attention and we can both appreciate its contents and come to regulate its flow in a new way. Reflecting on the mind enables us to make better choices and change becomes possible.
Benefits of Mindfulness
- Reduced stress and anxiety levels
- Improved mood and emotion regulation
- Improved brain function, awareness, attention and focus
- Increased clarity in thinking and perception
- Increased immune function and ability to deal with illness
There are so many benefits of incorporating mindfulness into your everyday life, these are just a few! For a complete and detailed list, click here!