Family Health and Fitness Day
The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA)’s Family Health and Fitness Day is celebrated on the second Saturday in June each year. The goal of this observance is to promote the importance of parks and recreation in keeping families and communities healthy. This year, Family Health and Fitness day will be on June 8, and companies everywhere are encouraged to participate by inviting employees and their families to get active at their local park or recreation center!
- According to The University of Minnesota, natural environments, such as a park, benefit both your physical and mental health. Being around trees, plants, water, and other natural elements is scientifically shown to reduce stress, anxiety, and any negative thoughts and feelings. It also reduces blood pressure, heart rate, and muscle tension.
- As cited by NRPA, living close to parks and other recreation facilities is consistently related to higher physical activity levels for both adults and youth.
- According to a poll conducted by the National Recreation and Park Association, 36% of Americans use hiking, running or walking trails to help relieve stress, while 35% say they gather with family, friends or pets at a local park to help relieve stress.
- On average, children who live in greener environments weigh less and are overall healthier than children who live in less green areas.
- Between 2000 and 2012 alone, more than 85 studies were published that linked parks to better physical and mental health.
How To Participate
In addition to encouraging everyone to visit a local park or recreation center on June 8, you can get yourself and your employees involved in Family Health and Fitness Day by:
- Using the tagline, “Get Fit” With Parks and Recreation to promote your health and wellness programs and activities.
- Using the social media images and #NRPAFamilyFitDay leading up to, and on, June 8.
- Downloading the official Family Health and Fitness Day poster and hanging it up, taking pictures with it or sharing copies of it with your community.
- Highlighting NRPA’s Top 5 Ways to “Get Fit” With Parks and Recreation on your website, social media channels and promotional materials. They are as follows:
- Take a Walk: Gather your friends, family, and pets and find a nearby walking trail or just take a walk around your neighborhood!
- Go for a Swim: Whether it is your own pool, the pool at your community center, the lake, or the beach, get your heart rate up and engage in this low impact activity.
- Enroll in a Fitness Program: Whether it is within your company’s wellness program, the gym, or online, June 8 is the perfect time to enroll in a fitness program.
- Create Your Own Exercise Routine: Creating and committing to an exercise routine is not only a great way to participate in Family Health and Fitness Day, but it will lasso have lasting health benefits!
- Play Outside: Find an open space, pick your favorite game or sport, and start playing! This is a great way to get exercise while also having a great time with friends and family.
For more information, visit NRPA!