It is Heathy Aging Month!
September is Healthy Aging Month! This is an annual observance that was created more than 25 years ago by Carolyn Worthington, editor-in-chief of Healthy Aging ® Magazine and executive director of Healthy Aging®.
With 1 in 4 Americans estimated to be over the age of 65 by 2060, the main goal of this observance is to focus national attention on the importance of healthy aging. In addition, this month is centered around promoting physical, mental, social and financial well-being and pushing past the stereotypes associated with aging.
Listed below are ways you can get involved in Healthy Aging Month and kickstart your healthy aging efforts:
- Look for Events to Join: There are so many events happening this month! With the latest spike in delta variant cases, we recommend joining a virtual event. One in particular is the free virtual 2021 Healthy Aging Symposium hosted by ODPHP and Trust for America’s Health. It takes place on September 8 and 9. Click here to register!
- Start an Exercise Regime: Physical activity is the best way to ensure your body ages well. This month, join a gym, sign up for a virtual workout platform such as Peloton, or hire a personal trainer so you can make physical activity a part of your daily routine. Make sure to talk to your doctor before starting any new exercise regime.
- Try Something New: Learning is an excellent tool to keep your mind active and promote heathy aging. Consider taking up a new hobby, learning a new language or taking a class to learn a new skill.
- Stay Social: Social health is very important aspect of an overall healthy lifestyle. If you notice a lack in your social connections, take charge this month! Join a club, set a schedule to see your friends and family more often, start volunteering, etc.
- Schedule Your Appointments Now: Regular checkups with your doctor and preventative screenings ensure you catch any possible health concerns early. To learn more about the importance of checkups and preventive screenings, visit our past blog post!
Throughout this month, we will be sharing tips on our blog to help you live a longer and healthier life. So stay tuned!