The Definition of Well-Being
There is way more to well-being than just physical health, the COVID-19 pandemic has made that very clear. However, this has many employers wondering what exactly does employee well-being mean?
WELCOA has a published definition of well-being that the industry-at-large uses to gauge how they are doing in regard to employee well-being. The definition is: Well-being is the active pursuit to understand and fulfill your individual human needs—which allows you to reach a state where you are flourishing and able to realize your full potential in all aspects of life. Every person has well-being aspirations. WELCOA goes on to explain that within this definition, there are 7 key areas that make up optimal employee well-being. They are:
- Health: Beyond the absence of mental and physical illness, health is a feeling of strength and energy from your body and mind.
- Meaning: Feeling part of something bigger than yourself. Knowing that your work matters. Having purpose in your life.
- Safety: Knowing that you are safe from physical and psychological harm at work. Feeling secure enough to take calculated risks and show vulnerability. Free of concern about meeting basic life needs.
- Connection: Experiencing positive, trusting relationships with others. Feeling a sense of belonging, acceptance, and support.
- Achievement: Feeling you have the support, resources, and autonomy to achieve your goals. Succeeding at meeting your individual goals and work aspirations.
- Growth: Feeling like you are progressing in your career. Learning and being challenged to use and expand on your strengths.
- Resiliency: Viewing life with optimism. Feeling grateful and expressing appreciation. Feeling validated and encouraged.
Supporting Employee Well-Being in 2022
For 2022, WELCOA has announced that their focus this year will be on safety. Their research shows that the root of why employees are unable to achieve well-being is that they lack the necessary support to meet their basic requirements for safety. The COVID-19 pandemic has shown that protecting employees from exposure to potentially dangerous work environments is a more complex task than we all previously thought. That is why we are encouraging all employers to make safety a top priority for 2022 as well.
WELCOA will be dedicating this year to resource development, collaborative conversation, and tactical skill-building to help create safe and healthy work environments. Visit their website to learn more!
In addition, for resources that can help you create a safe work environment for employees, including COVID-19 testing and vaccine tracking, visit Health Designs!