According to the Gallup 2017 State of the American Workforce survey, only 33% of the American workforce is engaged. That means only one-third of the 100 million full-time employees enjoy their jobs and are actively working to make their organization better everyday. On the opposite side, a shocking 67% of employees are not engaged at work, and 16% of that completely hate their jobs and typically cancel out and positive work done by the engaged employees. That is why taking steps to improve employee engagement within your organization is so important.
How to Improve Engagement
Increasing employee engagement within your organization is not only crucial for business success, but it also plays a role in attracting and retaining top talent. Listed below are the five ways you can improve employee engagement from Virgin Pulse:
- Encourage physical activity at work: Movement keeps employees healthy, and healthier employees are going to be more engaged and productive. Virgin Pulse suggests offering instructor-led lunchtime classes, after-work yoga, training stipends, or investing in a wellness program that rewards physical fitness.
- Training and career development opportunities: Having the opportunity to learn and grow plays a huge role in an employee’s engagement level. A great way to improve this is, is to offer training courses, partial tuition reimbursement, or cover a seminar stipend per year.
- Clear job titles and descriptions:When employees are unsure about what exactly their role is or how to be successful in that role, being engaged becomes very difficult and frustration takes over. Set aside time to go over your employees’ roles and their descriptions. If you realize something needs to be updated or rewritten, talk with that employee about the changes and what they can do to be successful.
- Provide the right resources: When time is wasted working with sub-par resources, employees often disengage. Whether it is proper workstations, materials, or updated technology, make sure employees are fully equipped to do the job at hand.
- Schedule feedback: Employees need to feel recognized for their efforts and see that their job role is important. Make sure to schedule quarterly, biannual, or annual reviews to give employees feedback. This not only encourages high performance, but it also makes employees feel like their work is a priority.
For more information, click here!
Phone: 904-285-2019 - Fax: 904-285-2779