The Benefits of Outdoor Workouts
The cold, gloomy days and indoor workouts are almost behind us. The sun is starting to stay out longer and it is finally warming up enough to enjoy the outdoors. Physical fitness has been linked to reduced risk of heart disease and other chronic illness, improved mood, reduced stress, improved sleep, and so much more! While any workout can help you achieve these benefits, researchers at Glasgow University found that exercising outdoors had a 50% greater positive impact on mental health than indoor workouts. Wether you are looking for moderate or strenuous outdoor workouts, all come with the added benefit of improved short-term memory, reduced inflammation and blood pressure, improved ability to focus, and enhanced creativity! With that being said, here are some workouts that will turn the outdoors into your own personal gym this spring!
- Tend to your garden: Gardening is a classic, and often overlooked, springtime workout. Pulling weeds, hauling away winter waste, and mowing the lawn is all considered moderate physical activity!
- Go for a brisk walk: Walking is a low impact workout that is easy to schedule into your day. Even just 30 minutes in the morning, evening, or on your lunch break will make a noticeable difference in your day!
- Participate in a sport: You don’t have to become a professional athlete to benefit from playing sports. You can join an intramural team or just get some friends together for a little healthy competition. Anything that gets you outside and your heart rate up will work!
- Go swimming. Swimming is a full body, heart healthy workout. Swim laps in your local, outdoor pool or go to the beach for a swim. Just remember to wear sunscreen!
- Go for a bike ride. Biking is a perfect outdoor activity for all skill levels because you have the freedom to pick the difficulty of your route.
- Visit some of your local hiking trails. According to Harvard Health, hiking is a natural stress reliever and a great cardiovascular workout. Hiking also offers new scenery and exploring opportunities, you won’t even realize it’s a workout. Just remember to wear appropriate hiking shoes and stay hydrated.
- Play with your kids! Take your kids to the park or play tag in the backyard. The best exercise happens when you are having fun and making memories.
Click here for more outdoor workout ideas!
Phone: 904-285-2019 - Fax: 904-285-2779