The New Normal
The COVID-19 pandemic has drastically impacted our lives. It has changed the way we work, exercise, and interact with others, and it has many of us living in a state of fear for our health. Whenever we feel like we don’t have control over a situation, it is completely normal for fear to set in.
The good news is, though, that there are steps we can all take to help reduce our risk of COVID-19. In addition to following the CDC guidelines for social distancing, wearing a mask in public, and washing our hands, we can also naturally improve our immune health to help us become more resilient in the face of exposure.
Ways to Naturally Improve Your Immune Health
As outlined by Rachel Druckenmiller, health coach and founder of Unmuted Life, here are 5 tips for improving your immune system:
- Get a Good Night’s Sleep: Getting adequate, quality sleep every night is great place to start to help boost our immune system. The body needs quality sleep to rest, repair and restore itself. If we allow ourselves to fall into an irregular sleep pattern or limit the amount of sleep we get, we compromise our body’s ability to fight back if we are exposed to a virus. Work on getting your body on a solid sleep schedule, avoiding blue light right before bed, and try reading or meditating to help you relax before falling asleep.
- Focus on Digestive Health: Because 70-80% of our immune cells are located in and around our digestive system, boosting our immunity requires a focus on our “gut” health. Increasing our consumption of prebiotics and probiotics is one way we can boost our digestive health and, therefore, our overall health. You can find a list of foods that naturally contain prebiotics and probiotics here!
- Manage Stress Levels: Stress significantly suppresses our immune function, and if left unmanaged overtime, it can lead to severe health issues. It is important to find healthy ways to release the tension and manage your stress, such as physical activity, spending time doing a hobby you enjoy, catching up with friends and family, meditating, or spending time in nature.
- Stay connected: Social distancing does not mean social isolation. While it may take a little more effort during this pandemic to stay connected, it is essential for your health. Research has proven social isolation to be an immune suppressant, so check out our helpful guide for staying socially connected!
- Nourish Your Body and Mind: A healthy and nutritious diet is absolutely critical for overall health and wellbeing, especially during stressful times. Limiting processed foods and focusing on choosing lean meats, fruits, vegetables, whole grains and other nutrient dense foods not only improves your physical wellbeing, but it also improves your mental health. Check out our previous posts for a list of immune boosting foods and shelf stable healthy food options!
For more information, visit Unmuted Life!
Phone: 904-285-2019 - Fax: 904-285-2779